Saturday, May 29, 2010

Locura en la espuma: Bienvenidos a Ibiza! - "Craziness in the foam: Welcome to Ibiza"

I know that it appears I am always traveling, going here and going there, and maybe I am, but I promise I’m doing other things too! It’s just that the traveling is the most interesting part to write about. Life in Murcia, well… it gets a little redundant after a while; the town isn’t all that huge after all. But I’m surely used to the life of towns that are way smaller!


The most recent trips I’ve taken were to Ibiza and Granada (two extremely different cities). Ibiza is actually an island off the coast of Spain. It’s famous for its clubbing scene, known to make Vegas look lame and Cancun even lamer. This isn’t the type of trip I would normally plan out for myself, but our university actually has a program that plans trips out for the international students, and this was one of them. I wasn’t sure if I could handle 6 days in a city known for its “club scene”, something I hadn’t even experienced in the US yet, but my friends and I all decided that everyone in college needs to have at least one crazy spring break, and why not a better time than while we’re studying abroad in Spain! The week that our trip was planned was for a week when international students from all over Spain were all going to be there. Clubs opened up exclusively for us Erasmus (the name for exchange student program in Europe) students! Here’s a synopsis of the week.

Ferry boat to the island with 2,000 other exchange students in Spain. The “ferry” was more like a cruise. There was a boat party, complete with DJ and lights and a pool party on the deck. Here’s the pool before we even left the port:

Beautiful beaches of Ibiza:

(we rented a paddle boat complete with a slide, here's me jumping off the back of it into the Mediterranean)

Oashua outdoor beach party:


Paradis water party (There’s an empty pool in the middle of the dance club, and at 5 am, water pours from the ceiling to fill the pool, making a crazy sudden beach party)


Getting back to our hotel at 7 am after the Paradis water party club.


Club Space: Summer school party.


Ferry boat to Formentera island!

(Glass bottomed ferry ride... us looking out onto the sea floor)

Gala Nights outdoor club, complete with a foam pit dance floor!


So it looks like a crazy crazy time, and it was, but 6 days of late late nights and tanning on the beaches under the hot sun can sure wear you out! Overall, it’s safe to say that Ibiza wasn’t necessarily one of those educational or cultural-enriching trips, much like a lot of my other ones, but like I said, everyone needs to have at least one crazy spring break in their lives. Ibiza holds the title for some of the funniest days I’ve ever lived, thanks to crazy people popping out of foam, getting lost in club Paradis, Mozzarella stick cravings, some of the craziest and most fun Mexicans holding true to the tequila tradition, a kid named Carlos who was the true epitome of Ibiza, us Americans going down in Erasmus Ibiza trip fame for our whistle blowing at all the parties, learning new Spanish drinking songs.. and hearing them WAY too much, almost going overboard on a crazy ferry boat ride, failing miserably at finding the beach … on the island of Formentera (it was a complicated island ok), caterpillars, and so many other shenanigans. Ibiza is for sure a one-time experience. I definitely won’t be going there again; But I’m so glad to say that I have been! The island, in its peak season, is home to dozens of celebrities, famous events, some of the world’s most famous clubs (with entrance fees of 50 euros and up… per person!) I’m glad our university was able to set us up with a great place to stay, things to do every day, free drinks and entrance to the clubs, and so much more, for a really really discounted price. Gracias ESN Murcia!! My recomendation for anyone interested in checking it out someday: Do it, but only do it once. Go with lots of friends when all of you are single. Expect to spend a lot. and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment